Saturday, January 1, 2011

Breaking The Social Media Rules

One of the things I have been doing to further my Avon social media marketing campaign is making friends on the facebook. I have been looking at the suggested friends and asking everyone with Avon in their name to be my friend. I figure having Avon representatives as my friends is a good way to network for ideas and information. And it will build my numbers, I know I'm more impressed when I see a business has lots of friends or people who like it.

I have also lost a new friend. I have read that while you do a social media campaign there is such a thing as updating too much. Well, one night I was reading articles and "liking" everything I read. In the morning, one new Avon friend wrote me yelling that she "had lost her messages in all the updates and that if she wanted all those articles she would have found them".

I've heard you can do the same thing on twitter. I have twaitter and it passes my messages along every half-hour. I am following over 1600 people and get 3 or 4 messages in a row from the same person.

One article that was on twitter today talked about the dangers of social media and compared updating too much to when Alexander the great released his army so that they would not revolt against him. He wanted to give a great motivational speech to get them to help him in his great campaign, but sided with reason. It's no fun to be on the social media sites if you keep getting the same message, variety is the spice of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment